Ainslie Family John Aston's Journal The Ba' Game Chevalier de la Bastie Berwickshire Railway Robert Burns Charter 1489 Clockmakers Churches Gravestones Coat of Arms Covenanters Crooked Man Cumledge Mill Early History Edin's Broch Great Houses Lady Billie Reivers' Week Resurrectionists Sources Southfield Town Hall Volunteer Hall
On Langton Estate
The burial aisle of the Gavins in old graveyard on Langton Estate.
A symbolic stone in the graveyard
The earliest recorded owner of the lands of Langton was one Richard de Ow in the reign of King David 1 of Scotland. In turn they passed to the family of Vipont who held them until 1314 when Sir William Vipont, Lord of Langton was killed at the Battle of Bannockburn. Through marriage they then passed into the hands of the family of Cockburn.
During a dispute in 1517 when the castle was being besieged by one branch of the family against another the French Knight, De la Bastie acting on behalf of the Regent Albany sought to intervene but in the ensuing events was murdered by the Humes, an associated family, at Broomhouse.
In November 1566 on her return from Jedburgh to Edinburgh on her progress through the eastern Borders Mary, Queen of Scots spent the night at Langton. One report states that she was accompanied by 1000 horsemen but this number does seem excessive.
The first Langton House was probably built at the beginning of the 17th. century. Hearth Tax records show the house as having 23 hearths making it the second largest in Berwickshire.
In 1745 the 7th. Baronet of Langton was killed at the Battle of Fontenoy, fighting for the forces of the Duke of Cumberland, the victor at Culloden the following year. Following his death the estate was put on the market and purchased by one David Gavin who had made his money through trade and who immediately set about demolishing and rebuilding the existing house. He later married a daughter of the Earl of Lauderdale and their daughter married the Earl of Breadalbane.
In 1886 a subsequent Earl of Breadalbane set about building a completely new house to the designs of the renowned Architect David Bryde R.S.A.
In Articles of Roup of 1924 a copy of which are in the Society Archive the house is described as;
In 1876 a Wellingtonia or Giant Redwood was planted by the then prime minister William Ewart Gladstone on a visit to the property. This is on the left hand side of what was the main driveway and survives. In 1990 it was recorded as 119 feet in height.
The house was demolished in 1950.
|The Stairway Langton House||The Hall Langton House||The last remaining Tower during demolition|
|The Gates and Wellingtonia tree.|| " Nothing beside remained"
||Langton Church from the Estate|